We’ve Been There…
Let Us Be There For You

Answers To Often-Asked Questions About Green Cards

At Villegas Law Office, PLLC, we understand the challenges those who are seeking green cards experience. Here are brief answers to some of the questions we frequently hear. For more information and legal advice, please call our office in Harlingen to arrange for a consultation.

Am I Eligible For A Green Card?

You may be eligible to apply for a legal permanent residency card or “green card” depending on your status in relation to several categories such as through your family members, employer, education level, profession, talent, or as a domestic abuse victim.

You may also be eligible as a refugee seeking asylum, as a crime victim, human trafficking victim, are from a designated country, have lived in the U.S. continuously since 1972, among several other categories, including if you are a religious worker or special immigrant juvenile.

An individual must meet the qualifications within the category for which they are applying. Because green card applications can be confusing and subject to rejection if the qualifications are unmet, it is best to seek our experienced immigration attorney’s assistance if you are considering applying for a green card.

What Is An “Immediate Relative” Of A U.S. Citizen?

Immediate relatives include spouses of U.S. citizens, unmarried children under 21 years old, or a parent of a U.S. citizen who is 21 years or older.

Can I Still Get A Green Card If My Spouse Died?

If you were married to your U.S. citizen spouse when your spouse died, you may still qualify for legal permanent residency (LPR) or green card status.

Is Having A Green Card The Same Thing As Getting U.S. Citizenship?

No. The process for U.S. citizenship or naturalization requires a separate application and requirements, one of which is having legal permanent residency status. If you are 18 years old or older and have a green card, you may apply for naturalization.

I Witnessed A Crime. Will This Prevent Me From Getting A Green Card?

No, it will not prevent you from getting a green card if you still qualify under an eligibility category. If you have been granted U nonimmigrant status or a “U visa,” and are a victim or a witness to certain crimes and willing to assist with law enforcement’s investigation or prosecution of the crime, you may qualify for a green card.

Let Our Experience Help You Achieve Your Immigration Goals

There is no substitute for the personal attention of a knowledgeable immigration attorney to get answers to your questions about a green card. Call Villegas Law Office, PLLC, at 888-816-7782 or send us an email for a consultation. We look forward to helping you along your journey to achieving your goals.

Free Resource